Pigments of the Past: Egg Tempera Edition – Adult Masterclass
Discover the history of pigments in ancient Greece and the practise of egg tempera painting, with this hands-on masterclass.
22 Apr 2023, 1:50 pm – 23 Apr 2023, 3:45 pm
Hellenic Museum, 280 William St, Melbourne VIC 3000, Australia
How did ancient artisans and craftsmen colour their world before the invention of modern paints? What is egg tempera and how was it used? Join a Hellenic Museum Curator in this hands-on discovery of pigments throughout the past with a special focus on the medium of egg tempera.
Workshop participants will receive a primer on the theory and history of pigment with an emphasis on ancient Greece, alongside the history, development and usage of egg tempera; touch and mix common pigment ingredients; examine painting motifs on real and replica artefacts, and practice painting using the traditional recipe for egg tempera on two canvases you can take home after the workshop.
Workshop Schedule & Inclusions
- 1.50PM - Arrive and gather in Museum foyer.
- 2PM - Masterclass begins with a Curator's tour of painted artefacts and icons on display at the Museum.
- 2.15PM - Move to the workshop space for a presentation on pigment and egg tempera, and an opportunity to handle real and replica objects for a close up look at decorative styles.
- 2.45PM - Touch and mix assorted pigment ingredients, and try your hand at mixing your own egg tempera. Practice motifs by painting on your own canvases using your egg tempera mixtures, with guidance from staff.
- 3.45PM - Masterclass concludes.
- All materials included.
- Recommended for ages 16+ due to advanced subject matter.
- Aprons provided, but please consider wearing clothes you may get paint on.
- Traditional pigment mixing can use common allergens such as eggs and plant materials, while eggs will be used in this workshop to create the egg tempera. If you have allergen concerns, please contact the Hellenic Museum.
Members: log into your account to access Member ticket pricing.
- Ticket type